Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Stopping to Breathe

I finally have a slow day at work, and I'm trying to remember what it feels like to breathe.  So far, it's just been one of those years.

A GOOD year, filled with:  first words, a growing toddler, wedding showers, baby showers, bachelorette parties, new babies, weddings, beach trips, 30th birthdays, an anticipated pregnancy announcement, increased work responsibilities...  I don't even think that covers everything!

But, with the good, there was also some bad: a crippling snow storm, 30th birthdays (the fact that this is on both lists requires no explanation), too many stomach bugs, arguments, untimely rain, health issues for friends, losses, frustrations, best friends moving away, more time spent at work, pure exhaustion...

I'm already looking back, thinking, I wish I had been more present.  I wish I had spent more time in each of these moments, even the bad.  I've been so worried about just swimming that I've forgotten to enjoy the view.  And the view is beautiful.  

Beautiful toddler smiles and wet kisses.
Beautiful brides and their lucky grooms.
Beautiful snow and stories of hospitality.
Beautiful white sand and time with just family.
Beautiful growing bellies and tiny hands.
Beautiful friendships and ever-changing relationships.

But maybe, sometimes, it takes looking back to really see the beauty.

I don't typically quote the Bible here.  My life, my beliefs, my relationship with God, and my relationship with the church don't always align in a way that makes sense to me.  It seems easier to just compartmentalize.  But I remembered an old hymn and it's accompanying verse:
"He makes all things beautiful in its time..." -Ecclesiastes 3:11a

Maybe, just maybe, that's what's really going on in these moments.  Maybe some are already beautiful, but maybe others just need a little time-a little hindsight, a new perspective, and a chance to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment