Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

January Reads

In January I read…


The Memory Keeper’s Daughter, by Kim Edwards

I borrowed this one from a girl in my book club and really enjoyed it.  It dragged a little in a few places, but overall, it was a beautiful story.  It centers around the Henry family, with the first chapter showing us their peaceful life as a beautiful mother-to-be and her loving, doctor husband, David.  When David’s wife goes into labor, he and his nurse are the only ones present to deliver the baby.  His son is born and his wife immediately goes into a second labor.  The second, and unexpected child, is born with Down syndrome.  He tells his wife that the baby was stillborn and sends the baby off with his nurse to an institution.  In hopes of preserving his family’s happiness, David Henry makes this decision that ends up haunting all of their lives.  It wasn’t the BEST book ever, but it’s an easy read that’s worth the time. 
 
 
Pope Joan, by Donna Woolfolk Cross
 
Lauren, who organized our book club, pretty much forced us all to read this book in January. It’s the account of a woman pope during the 9th Century, and there is even some research that supports the idea that such a pope existed.
I trust Lauren, but I just wasn’t thrilled about reading this book; part of the reason I read “The Memory Keeper’s Daughter” first. BUT, and this is a HUGE “BUT”, the book was amazing. I loved every page! I don’t even want to tell you anything else about it (especially since my sister, who I hope reads my blog, might not be finished with it yet). Just trust me.





Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist’s Guide to Global Warming, by Bjorn Lomborg
Admittedly, I think environmental issues are quite interesting, especially concerning the changes on the environment caused by human activity. That being said, I ALSO think that there are more pressing issues out there: HIV/AIDS and other diseases, world hunger, and the need potable water. So, I was excited about a book that admits that Global Warming exists (and is a problem), but wants to put the new environmental craze into perspective.
The book was so, so. It gave me some perspective on things. For instance, in one chapter, the book gives a cost/benefit analysis for different issues, including Global Warming. According to the economists completing the analysis, slowing Global Warming is a “bad deal” with on about 1/3 of every dollar spent doing “social good.” Comparatively, for every dollar spent preventing HIV/AIDS (condoms, information, education), you get $40 worth of good (fewer sick, less social disruption). Now, I know environmentalist don’t have the “social good” values at the top of their priority lists (and I’m not sure they should), but that part was still very interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment