The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak
Some books I’m 100% attached to at the beginning, then I hit a lull and have to force myself to read the rest. For me, this was one of those books. There were several times when I thought, “Markus Zusak should have edited this book down by at least 100 pages.”
Normally, when I get to the end of a book like this I stand by my original thought that it could have been “edited down.” However, in this case I was wrong. “The Book Thief”, which is about a young girl living in Nazi Germany, is all about timing, chance, coincidence, and circumstance. I finished this book with tears in my eyes on a Saturday morning at 7:30. And when I finished it, I wished that I had more of it to read. I understood why Zusak spent so much time building a certain relationship or revisiting a certain scene. It was a beautiful book.
To keep with the book's "german" theme, I made beef stroganoff. It was pretty good, and everyone seemed to have a good time (including Levon who was the life of the party).

Yay Levon making his debut!
ReplyDelete