Sometimes I wonder if we share too much. Facebook, Blogging, and Twitter make it too easy to share some of our most personal thoughts and actions with our 900 closest friends (guilty). And while I do not take for granted the joy I experience in being able to open-up and trust my closest friends with some of my most significant secrets, sometimes I wonder if I share too much.
Today I was inspired by what I read in Erin Morgenstern's The Night Cirucus:
Secrets have power...And that power diminishes when they are shared, so they are best kept and kept well. Sharing secret, real secrets, important ones, with even one person, will change them. Writing them down is worse , because who can tell how many eyes might see them inscribed on paper, no matter how careful you might be with it. So it's really best to keep your secrets when you have them, for their own good, as well as yours.
That quote stuck with me when I read it in The Night Circus. It's so true, there really is no such thing as a secret once it's been shared.
ReplyDeleteThis is so timely. I had been thinking about sharing something that, really, only my family knows about me. I don't know if it would change people's perceptions of me or not. It gives me a lot to think about.
ReplyDelete