Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Another "Hunger Games"

Last month, I forced myself to listen to (why does it make me feel guilty that I have to use the word "listen" instead of "read"?) "Divergent" by Veronica Roth, at the request of my book club.
I would say that it was a waste of time, but I was mostly in my car traveling back and forth to work.  And, maybe it was better for me (and the baby) than the rap songs I usually blare from my iPod...I know, I'm so gangsta.  So I will say that I just didn't enjoy it.  Why?
Well, let me back-up a little.  I really enjoyed the "Hunger Games" books and was told this was similar.  Was it?  Yes...too similar.  But in a lackluster kind of way.  Similar female character, but I couldn't identify with her.  Attractive love interest, but he didn't ignite the same kind of feelings as Peeta (or even Gale).  It just...wasn't quite...there.
In fairness, I was one of the few people who felt this way.  Maybe my expectations were too high.  If I've lowered yours enough, feel free to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment