Last week, as part of my training class, I was supposed to practice resolving conflicts and avoiding arguements. It went pretty well, then Friday rolled around... Mark got home from work around 6, and I was in an ill mood. He made a suggestion, and I snapped! We're talking: slamming doors, yelling, stomping around... it was not a pretty site.
What eventually happened? I got my way! But for some reason, I didn't feel good about it. In fact, I felt guilty, and I'm pretty sure Mark resented me for getting my way. Then it occured to me that I HAD NOT resolved this conflict the "Dale Carnegie" way. According to my training, there was only one way to handle the situation at this point...an apology. This is one of the most painful things for me to do! But I sucked it up and admitted to Mark that I had been wrong.
Not only did we both feel better after we reached a compromise, but I also won in award in class on Tuesday when I spoke about the event. Success (and without lying)!
No comments:
Post a Comment