Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Liar, Liar

We all know the old saying "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire."

I can't take credit for making my pants instantaneously burst into flames, but when I lie, my face turns red-hot!  You're probably wondering where this is going...bare with me...

*SIGH*
I am officially a liar!  Last Tuesday I went to my training course and was fully prepared to give my speech on a personal experience and ready to be a fabulous public speaker. 
One by one, my classmates delivered colorful and inspiring speeches.  I was floored!  Who are these people?  Why do they have so much more life experience than I do?  Sure, some of them are older.  Each week I worry if Walter (named changed to protect his identity) is even going to make it to class next week.  But not ALL of them should be putting my speech to shame..
I started thinking about my personal experience that I was planning to share.. "It's not great"...."Well, it's a little boring"...."OMG! It's horrible.  I will not go through with it."  Dramatic much?

I had two options:
1)  The truth:  I could admit that I was uncomfortable with my speech and ask to make it up next week.
2)  The lie:  Improvise.  Make up a story and make it as believable as possible.

I thought of the experience I was going to share and how I could "tweek" it.  By the time it was my turn to talk, I had rewritten my life...  In fact, did you know that I almost died when I was 4 years old?  Trust me, my speech made the situation sound that grave.  I'm a regular miracle....
I guess my public speaking skills will never improve this way.  Especially since all I could think was "Liar, Liar, Face on Fire."  Next week, I will be boring Caroline.  No lies.

1 comment:

  1. Aw Caro, you are not boring...far from in in fact! Tell the story about you falling in the bushes, but make it be about your friend "Chelsey." Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete