Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Doing My Part

Is it June already?  I guess it's time for me to play "catch up" and update what I've been doing since the Derby...
Since the tornadoes hit Alabama on April 27, I feel like everyone has come together to show what we Southerners are made of…  My sweet mother gave up a more tradition Mother’s Day at the “Decorators’ Show House” to volunteer with Mountain Chapel UMC at another church in Cahaba Heights.  When I found out where we would be volunteering (a house owned by Cahaba Heights UMC), I thought "I think I know that house".  When we got there, what I thought was confirmed.  Three of my Sumatanga friends lived in that exact house, during my Birmingham-Southern years.  My roommate, Cori, and I used to go over there for what we called "meat night".  The boyse cooked us meat (seriously, only meat) and we would hangout together singing/talking/playing games.  One of them slept against this very wall:

Valerie, my mom, and I enjoyed our day together and felt like some powerful ladies after kicking some butt out there.


The next weekend, I went with Meredith mom’s company (Bryant Bank) to Pleasant Grove to volunteer with Samaritan’s Purse. It was a different experience having heavy equipment to help us get the job done faster. And it was fun to see what my friends are made of…that’s right Chelsey and Meredith, I’m talking about you! Chelsey is a “don’t quit until you get the job done” kind of girl, and Meredith is a “plan it out and get it down fast and efficiently” kind of girl. Meredith’s mom and Jeremy also volunteered with us and were all over the place doing whatever was needed. Check out Meredith's Blog for pictures.

I haven’t been brave enough to visit Tuscaloosa to volunteer, but that is next on my list. Unfortunately, I think Tuscaloosa will need our help for a long time. So, GET OUT THERE!..and help any way you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment