Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Walk Like a ROMAN?

Sunday
Our last day in Rome was spent at the Colosseum:  



And The Roman Forum. Mark LOVED all of the ancient Roman architecture and remains.  I, to be completely honest, could have skipped this day... Don't get me wrong, it is a must-see, but once is probably enough for most people.  I admit that I got a little bored walking aimlessly around the ruins for a second time.  And, my disappointment continued when I discovered that the only thing I was interested in seeing, Caesar Augustus' house (since it wasn't open to the public when I went in 2003), was only opened during scheduled hours, by appointment...which my book failed to mention.  Also, the uneven ground KILLED my knee; surgery will not be fair off for me.  Turns out, I can not walk like a Roman (for those of you wondering, I know it's "Egyptian"). 

I did perk up on the walk back to the hotel and moved with impressive speed to take a picture of this:

Hahahahaha.  I feel like you would never see THIS kind of PDA in America.  Love it!

Mark and I had quite an experience at dinner though; which, I failed to capture on film.  I had been talking about antipasti plates since we got to Rome and how on my last trip it was one of my favorite parts of Italian meals.  I went on and on about olives, sliced sausages and meats, cheese, fried vegetables... So, on our last night in Rome, Mark and I ordered the "House Antipasti" at our restaurant.  What came out of the kitchen was a BASKET of sausage, a cutting board, and a knife.  *Insert surprised look on my face*  This is followed by a bowl of some kind of spreadable cheese and a cooking pot full of mozzarella.
I apologize to Mark, as he figures out how to cut the sausage.  THEN, they bring out platters of different fried vegetables and place spoonfuls of them on our plates.  It was the weirdest way to be served in a restaurant!  Once we had a chance to take what meat and cheese we wanted, they took those baskets, bowls, and pots away too...to share with another table...I guess?  It was delicious, but definitely unusual.  Here we are post meal, happy as clams (though somewhat sunburned from a full day outside):

Before we ended our last night in Rome, we took one more glance as The Spanish Steps.  Still not sure I get the popularity of them, but "when in Rome..."



  

No comments:

Post a Comment