Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Summer Books

This summer, in between my pregnancy/new baby reads (which I won't bore you with), I read:

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
I'm beginning to think that I like memoirs/biographies best.  Maybe it's the "true story" aspect, but I find them to be fascinating.  The Glass Castle was no exception.
I was totally enthralled by Jeannette's father, Rex.  He's a genius...I think (he's a bit of a dreamer, so it's hard to be sure).  He's also an alcoholic scum-bag who does not support his family and is willing to exploit his own children for a quick buck.  And Jeannette's mother, Rose Mary, embodies the term "starving artist."  She would rather scrape through trashcans for food than give-up her art and make a living by teaching.
Jeannette is one of four kids who all must rely on each other for survival.  And while they are able to escape their childhood and make respectable lives for themselves, the memoir really doesn't focus on their survival.  It was more about a family bond, love, forgiveness, and seeing things from another perspective.  OK, my description was horribly cheesy, but the book is not.  I would recommend it!

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
I'm not sure why I didn't love this book.  Maybe I was just rushed to read it before my book club met, making it feel more like a chore?  Most of the girls in my book club loved it.  One of them even said, "This is what reading is all about, learning about a new culture."  I'll agree with that statement.  I know so little about China now and during the 1930s, when the story takes place, that I couldn't help but be somewhat interested in the story.
But, to me, Lisa See was trying to be Khaled Hosseini - a GREAT writer of tragic but inspiring novels...and she just feel short.


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Suspenseful, easy read!  I will even say that the writing was quite good (disclaimer: I picked my career partially based on what would require the least amount of writing, so what do I know...).
The story is about a woman who goes missing on her 5th anniversary.  Of course we suspect the husband!  Don't you people watch "Law & Order"??  But the book is full of twist and turns that keep it interesting.  I will share with you that the ending was kind of a let-down...mostly just too abrupt.  But since 90% of the book was good, I still think it's worth your time


No comments:

Post a Comment