Last week, Mark and I took our first trip to Europe as a couple (and Mark's first trip EVER to Europe). I was a little nervous because:
1) We knew zero Italian. Ok, Mark knew "arrivederci" and was a little too excited about it. And I knew "scusi" and used it way too often, and not always in a nice way.
2) I had done a similar trip with my parents and worried that I would be disinterested repeating it.
Conclusion...Italy is AMAZING over and over again, and EVERYONE speaks English (the Italians, the French, the Dutch). Here are the highlights from Rome...Friday
We flew out of Charlotte on Thursday afternoon and arrived in "Roman Time" on Friday morning. We made our way to our tiny hotel (with no elevator), freshened up a bit, and headed right back out to take in the sights. First stop, Trevi Fountain:
There are ancient ruins everywhere (and no, this isn't the Roman Forum)
Dinner with a couple from Holland (where I learned that Europeans rely on english too when they are traveling), back to the Trevi Fountain for one more look, and Mark's first experience with gelato. Oh, and don't worry, the gelato definitley got a little bigger each day...not that we ate it everyday...
Saturday
We woke up as early as we could on Saturday to get to Vatican City. Unfortunately, due to lack of sleep, continental breakfast, and a bit of a walk, we didn't make it to the Vatican until 9:50. The line was crazy long! We walked around it and to the front, contemplating our next move, then they opened the gates and we were pretty much pushed in. I mean, there was nothing we could do about it...I wouldn't even call it breaking. But it was worth it (and don't worry, karma gets us back in Florence), and we climbed to the top of the cupola for some amazing views of the inside of the Saint Peter's and overlooking Rome:
BTW, you are NOT supposed to take pictures inside the Sistine Chapel, but try telling that to Mark.
Whew! I didn't even make it through all of Rome! Next post: Colosseum/Roman Forum then off to Florence...
What gorgeous pictures! I feel like I was there with you!
ReplyDeleteHa! Mark took lots of pictures he wasn't supposed to! Take that all you rule followers!
ReplyDelete